Construction of the bridge in the Northern Ireland
The investigations were provided by The Department of design, architecture & civil construction in the Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland. The deck testing were also carried out at the University. According to the tests bridge decks were inserted with fiber-optic sensors to analyze the armature behavior in concrete.
According to results of the performed investigations the following conclusions have been made:
1. Ñomposite armature “Rockbar” has increased operating performances. Due to the arching effect its strength is higher in comparison with the comparible steel reinforced slabs tested before.
2. Strength of the investigated slabs has surpassed values of the Bending Theory of the given standard.
3. Slabs reinforced with composite armature “Rockbar” correspond to all requirements indicated in various normative documents such as Canadian Standard, ACI Guidance (reinforcement value 0.6% acc. to 5 Part).
4. The ultimate failure is expressed with concrete cracks in the central portion of a slab span. Such failure is a better than FRP failure.
5. FRP based reinfrocement is a durable analugue for bridge decks as it distinctes with the arching effect increasing operating parameters & strength. Thus it reduces FRP material’s disadvantages.